About Rumble on the River – Amazing Taste of Muay Thai
After a three-year hiatus, Rumble on The River – Amazing Taste of Muay Thai (Rumble) returns to NYC as a collaboration between the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and Friday Night Fights. The event is scheduled to take place on August 3, 2017 from 6:30pm – 10pm at Battery Park City (Rockefeller Park). In case of rain, the event will be moved to Friday, August 4th. It’s free! RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1756960944602602/
This is exciting news for martial arts and Muay Thai fans in NYC. This year’s event marks the return of this long-time NYC staple and will feature 8 Muay Thai fights from some of the city’s best up-and-coming fighters. And if you get hungry, don’t fret, some of NYC’s best Thai restaurants will be selling their dishes and beverages during the event, including Pok Pok NY, Sugar Club, Chang Beer, and more.
Did you think fights and food would be the only thing returning?
Wai Kru Performance
Guests will also be treated to one of the largest Wai Kru performances that will feature several fighters from several MMA gyms around NYC. For those who may not be familiar, Wai Kru is a Thai ritual in which students pay respects to their teachers in order to express their gratitude and formalize the student–teacher relationship. It is regularly held near the beginning of the school year in most schools in Thailand. Previously in NYC, this ritual has only been performed by a small group, and as Rumble makes its return, they’re doing it by trying to create the largest Wai Kru performance in NYC.
If you want to join in the ritual, you can sign up by contacting Justin Blair, founder of Friday Night Fights at JB@fridaynightfights.com.
And we’re still not finished!
TAT is partnering with EVA Airlines to award two winners a trip to Thailand! The winners also receive a Thai massage experience at Fifth Avenue Spa in NYC. Stop by the TAT booth during the event to learn how to enter the contest.
Other sights to experience at Rumble include:
- Muay Thai Demo & Training Tent – Learn the basics of Muay Thai to get a glimpse into the same techniques the fighters use.
- Thainesss Through My Skin – For fun, they will be on site to have Thai tattoo stickers available for those who want a cool take away from the event.
- Fifth Avenue Thai Spa – Everyone could use a little relaxation with amazing Thai massage
- Chang Beer – They are the official beer sponsor of Rumble on The River – Amazing Taste of Muay Thai, and Chang Beer will complement every dish you eat at the event.
- Pok Pok – Pok Pok will be on site, selling delicious somtum, khao man somtum, moo whan, sai eua, and som vinegar.
- Sugar Club – They will be selling tasty Thai desserts and Thai drinks
While guests will be able to enjoy the fights for free as they’ve always been able to, this year’s Rumble will also feature the following:
- 6:00 p.m.: The event is accessible for media and VIP only and you must check-in at the Press Check-in Booth
- 6:30 p.m.: The event is open to the public with a performance from Ram Klong Yao Thai Dance following the welcome announcement
- 6:40 p.m.:
- Opening remarks from the Tourism Authority of Thailand along with supermodel and Muay Thai celebrity Mia Kang
- Muay Thai demonstration with pads led by Mia Kang
- Muay Thai icon, Coban will present Chris Romulo, a NYC staple in the Muay Thai community, with a mongkol
- One of the largest Wai Kru ceremonies will be performed and led by Romulo
- 8:15 p.m.: Soeng Kratip Thai dance performance by Siam Classy Team will be in front of the of the Tourism Authority of Thailand pavilion i in the park
- 9:00 p.m.: Soeng Kala Thai Dance performance by Siam Classy Team in front of TAT Pavillion in the park.
- 9:45 p.m.: Closing remarks
- There will be 8 fights throughout the night starting at 7PM
We hope to see you there!